On the left side of the Shrine of Our Lady of Oropa, there are three marble gravestones
with inscriptions in Latin which refer to the three miracles legally recognized by the
Ecclesiastical Authority and authenticated by regular canonical process. They are:
Giovanni Sà was, at the age of eight, without relatives and deprived of every resource. His life changed when four robbers, after having robbed him, cut off his tongue with a pair of scissors. Having lost the ability to speak, he lived for eleven years of begging and off the work of his hands. In 1661 he went to Oropa and while begging the Blessed Virgin Mary, he got back his tongue. After hearing of this miracle, the Bishop of Vercelli prepared the canonical process. Witnesses of the miracle, including the mayor, the parish priest and the doctor, all Were subjected to lengthy interrogation.
The best theologians of the Diocese were consulted and,consequently, the following statement was issued: "We say, pronounce and declare that to John Sa .. was returned, miraculously,his tongue and therefore his speech and language. And so this must be considered and published as a true miracle, because of the presence of all the conditions necessary to a true miracle".
On the plaque outside the Shrine it is written:
JOANNE S.A. NATIONE SABAUDUS PATRIA CAMBERINSIS ELINGUI PRECE VIRGINEM IMPLORANS QUÆ VERBUM DEI MUNDO DEDIT EXECTAM PRÆ DONUM SEVITIA PROPE RADICES LUSTRA ANTE ALIQUOT LINGUAM HIC MOMENTO RECEPIT ET AD DEIPARÆ LAUDES VOCIBUS SUIS SAXUM HOC ERUDIVIT – ANNO SALUTIS MDCLXI SEPTID MARTIL
Translation: "John Sa, Savoiarda of nationality, Chambery of Birth, imploring with a prayer the Virgin who gave birth to the Son of God, received a new tongue which had been cut to the root by some bandits several years earlier, here in a moment and with his own voice he dedicated this stone to the praise of the Mother of God.
John the Baptist Perrone
John the Baptist Perrone in 1718 was taken prisoner by the Turks, who urged him to renounce the Catholic faith, he refused and his tongue was cut off. The Franciscans and rescued him so he could return to Piedmont. He came to Oropa for the coronation of Mary Healer of Oropa and obtained the grace: the instant the bishop Gattinara, Bishop of Alexandria, set down on the head of the Virgin the new tiara, he felt his tongue growing and recovered the ability to speak. As in the previous case, a canonical trial was started and ended in the year 1724 by approving as miracle "the recovery of tongue and speech by John Perrone.".
John Vallet was born healthy, but at the age of nine, he was taken by an illness that led to his paralysis and total immobility. He remained motionless for eighteen years, then in the year 1672, he turned to the Madonna with the promise to walk to the Sanctuary of Oropa in case of recovery. After the promise, he was immediately healed. The Bishop of Aosta Albert Bailly, helped by nine theologians and Canons, conducted the canonical process. After having checked documents, doctors and theologians, he concluded the process with the following statement: "..He was healed in an instant and relieved from the paralysis, and therefore we affirm and declare that it was a miracle to give Giovanni his health back." On the plaque outside the Shrine it is written:
IACOBUS VALLET CAMPORCHIENSIS DIO ECESIS AUGUSTA TOTO CONVULSUS CORPORE NATURALIBUS DESTITUTUS OFFICIIS OCTODECIM ANNO IMMOBILIS IACUIT IN PRÆSEPIO OROPEAM VIRGINEM IMPLORANS SANITATI MOMENTO RESTITUTUS BENEFICAM GRATUS ADORAT - ANNO DOMINI MDCLXXII
Translation: "John Vallet from Champorcher, of the diocese of Aosta, suffered from seizures all over his body, for eighteen years layed still in a stable imploring the Virgin of Oropa, in a moment he was restored to health, grateful, he worships his benefactress".