History
Su TUMBARELLO IN THE WORLD Amici siciliani all'estero Cinquant'anni 1953 -2003 Baglio Woodhouse Baglio Don Federico Baglio Basile Baglio Visconti Baglio SpanÚ Torre montenero Torre Galvaga Torre Sibiliana Torre Triglia Scaletta Mulino a vento Lido Biscione Lido Sibiliana Lido Torrazza Gastronomia Primo autobus di Linea Storia di Petrosino History Monumenti e Itinerari Maria SS. dell Grazie San Giuseppe Le Edicole Sacre Mostra dei 100 Presepi Inaugurazione Come si arriva a Petrosino Cantina Europa Cantina Sociale Petrosino Siti consigliati - Links Antica Cappella Premio Karting Rockarossa Rock English Camps Sagra dell'uva e del vino Carnevale Istituto per Geometri di Petrosino Istituto Comprensivo Compagni del Magistrale Vetrina fisarmonicisti definizione_del_nome_degli_abitanti di petrosino Scrittori di Petrosino Confini Centro Culturale Centro Polivalente Auser a Petrosino Webmaster

 

 

History

There are two opinions about the name of Petrosino: one linked to history and the other to the legend. The legend tells about St. Peter apostle who, in one of his travels from Rome to Jerusalems took shelt

er in the shore of Petrosino, choosing Biscione bay. So the modern name would derive from latin "Petri Sinus", which means "Peter's gulf". According to the second more semplistic opinion its name wouid derive from a volunteer plant "petrosino" growing in the homonimous marsh (owned by Mazara's episcopate since 1536). The primitive installation dates back to 1660; before this period the territory wasn't colonized. Perhaps in the Arab period a sylvan and shepherd colonization might have been, for the presence of woods stretching as far as Timpone. As far back as the fifteenth century, with its towers connecting to each other, the territory of Petrosino was used for defence against the menace of outlows: nowadays we can admire Sibiliana Tower built in the fifteenth century and Montenero Tower wich dates back to XVII century. In the XVIII century John Woodhouse, English trader, settled in Marsala to buy soda; he discovered the high quality of the local wine and began importing it in England. He built a lot of "bagli" (rural houses) and a wonderful villa in English style. On the 8th of September in his Petrosino baglio was proclaimed the wine's price and it was a feast that attracted a lot of peasants of the nearby countryside. Nowadays the building still conserves its original portal, a deposit and a courtyard. Very soon, rural houses began growing, with their equipments for wine's working and deposits for the preservation of it: Baglio SpanÚ, Baglio Basile, Baglio Don Federico. Next to these factories the "chiani" (small rural centres) began spreading out. In the fifties, thanks to the Honourable Member Francesco De Vita, Petrosino assumes the aspect of a village with the construction of public works: asphalted streets, cemetery, schools, streets lighting. After several requests produced in various periods, only in July 1980 Petrosino has its autonomy separating from Marsala.

Button125x50HOME.jpg (3071 byte)