Founded in Malta in 1992, the Association of Women of the Mediterranean Region is e non-profit and non-governmental organization of women from 18 countries bordering the Mediterranean Sea.
Its administrative seat is located in Cyprus.
Through research, education and joint action, we work for justice, equality
in Mediterranean and world as a whole.
Association des Femmes de la Région Méditerranéenne
Asociación de Mujeres de la Región Mediterránea
Associazione Donne della Regione Mediterranea
Associação das Mulheres da Região Mediterrâneo
Association of Women of the Mediterranean Region
Verbindung der Frauen der Mittelmeerregion
AWMR unites women from Albania, Algeria, Cyprus, Egypt, France, Gibraltar, Greece, Israel, Italy, Lebanon, Libya, Malta, Morocco, Palestine, Spain, Syria, Tunisia, Turkey, and the countries of ex-Yugoslavia to:
- Work toward and achieve a just and peaceful solution to conflicts
- Demilitarize and Denuclearize the Mediterranean Region as well as actively support all other movements for global disarmament
- Foster the health and well--being of the most vulnerable amongst us, and to end all forms of violence against women
- Abolish sexual discrimination, oppression and exploitation, including all forms of violence against women
- Achieve Human Rights, real Democracy and Sustainable Development
- Work for and achieve the welfare and rights of children, irrespective of racial, social cultural and family background
- Promote education for Justice, Equality and Peace at all levels with special attention to the family, schools and the media
- Formulate and initiate common action in order to achieve a Mediterranean Region free of pollution; to halt wanton ecological destruction and to safeguard our sea, air, soil, and water.