Visitors who whish to visit Locorotondo should start their itinerary from the entrance to the old town, exactly at the top of Corso XX Settembre, between Piazza Dante and Villa Comunale. This public garden was named after G. Garibaldi. It was built in 1860 on a small hillside which from ancient times had always remained outside the walls and had been used as garbage dump. In front of it, the “Chiesa dell’Addolorata” (the church of Our Lady of Sorrows), built in 1858 on the site of the old castle, destroyed for this new building in 1855. Inside there are some late-eighteenth-century wooden statues (Our Lady of Sorrows, St. Gaetano and Our Lady of the Cross) and two more dated to 1888, respectively of the Redeemer and St. Antony Abbot by the local artist Antonio Semeraro. Even the small stone statue kept in the sacristy, of uncertain origin, portrays St. Antony. Outside, on the façade, there are two stone statues depecting the sybils Delphic and Eritrea, once belonging to the old “Chiesa Madre” (Mother Church). Going on to Piazza Vittorio Emanuele II (formely Castle square) and through the old Napoli door you get into the old town.

Built in concentric circles, the old town attracts the visitors for the charms and intimacy of bis alleys, very well kept by the inhabitants them­selves. There are no striking buildings nor sumptuous church façades, however every corner, alley or building is undoubtely interesting. 
 next page
 home page
 photos of the town
 restaurant & hotels

Entrance to the old town

 The public garden

 the church of our Lady of Sorrow